Gyeonghoeru, a pavilion located on a pond to the west of the living quarters, was built as a venue for feasts for foreign envoys and for the king and his court officials.When Gyeongbokgung was constructed, a small pavilion was built there, but in 1412(the 12th year of King Taejong), the pond was enlarged and a pavilion of the current size was built. This pavilion tilted, so it was rebuilt during King Seongjong’s reign(r. 1469-1494). At the time, the stone pillars were decorated with dragons and flowers. During Yeonsangun’s reign (1494-1506), The hills called Mansesan were created on the other two smaller man-made islets decorated with artificial flowers. All those were burned down in a fire during the Japanese Invasions (1592-1598). Although the pavilion disappeared, kings would periodically officiate at rites to pray for rain at the pond until Gyeongbokgung was rebuilt in the late 19th century.
The current Gyeonghoeru Pavilion was built in 1867 (the fourth year of King Gojong). Other rebuilt structures in Gyeongbokgung were burned down at various times, but Gyeonghoeru Pavilion remained intact. A wall encircled the pond, but it was torn down during the Japanese occupation (1910-1945). The wall on the north and east side were restored in 2004 and 2005 respectively. Sculpted animals sit atop the front railing stones on three stone bridges leading to the pavilion; this is to ward off evil spirits.